Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goals & Why it's Important to have them!

Happy New Year Friends!

As 2011 came to a close I was forced to reflect on the events of the past year. 2011 for me was a year of TRANSITION! Many changes occurred this year. It was truly a year of the good, the bad and the ugly. And my weight loss journey fell into the bad & the ugly category!

I wish I could say that my weight loss this year ended with a tremendous loss but unfortunately I ended the year with a 10lb gain. I could list excuses for that gain but 2012 for me is about positivity, goals, accomplishments and remembering what it means to give back to the community that has given me so much. And where the giving starts is right here.

So let's talk about goals and why they are important in your weight loss journey and the way to go about setting them. First let me share mine with you!

Pam's 12 goals for 2012
  1. I will break into Onderland and stay there by March 1st
  2. I will get down to 165lbs by 12/31/12
  3. I will take up morning spin class 3x a week
  4. I will run a 10K in the spring either in March or April
  5. I will run a 1/2 marathon in the Fall. October 21st St. Louis Rock n Roll.
  6. I will try 3 new fitness classes that I've never done before
  7. I will participate in 2 Adventure Club outings a month
  8. I will exercise 450 minutes a week
  9. I will strength train 3x a week
  10. I will start and finish the P90x program
  11. I will do a Warrior Dash in either June or September of 2012
  12. I will continue to work on my Emotional Eating by continuing the Shrink Yourself program.
Do you have goals you're going after this year? Here are the 5 golden rules to setting your goals.
  1. Set goals that motivate you.
  2. Make sure they are SMART goals; Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant & Time Bound.
  3. Put it in writing. This makes them real and tangible. Use the word will to affirm you "will" get it done.
  4. Make an action plan. Don't be so focused on the end result that you forget our plan of action.
  5. Stick with it! Goal setting is ongoing not just a means to an end.
So what are SMART goals?
  • Specific, clear and well defined
  • Measurable meaning you outline the precise amounts and dates you want to accomplish things. This is to measure your degree of success.
  • Attainable meaning you need to make sure these are possible. If you set something that there is no way in hell you'll achieve you could derail your success. However, don't set goals that are too easy. Always push yourself out of your comfort zone!
  • Relevant meaning is should be relevant to the direction you see your life going.
  • Time Bound meaning your goals must have a deadline. This will help you know when you can celebrate your success. Seeing that looming date will increase your desire to stick with it so you can attain that goal.
So share with me your goals for the coming year and how you are going to go about achieving them!

No comments:

Post a Comment